Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Before and After: The Shutters and Red Table

 This is the red metal table I purchased on Saturday.  The red coat is a poorly done spray coat over gray, beige and finally institutional green which leads me to believe this was once part of a medical piece of furniture.  You can't tell from the picture but the top lifts a little as if something was attached.  I decided to give it a solid sanding and leave the red.


 The two brown shutters were next on the list.  The fronts were painted in brown and the backs left natural.  I wanted them to be turquoise (my current favorite color) so I wire-brushed them and wiped them off  No special treatments for these bad boys!


 Here is the red table after sanding and washing.  I added a graphic from Karen at The Graphics Fairy in a reverse Mod Podge application.  It was the crowned bee French label.  I heavily brushed Mod Podge over the top. Then I used the water technique to remove some of the paper, let it dry in the sun, and then hand-sanded it for a more distressed look.  I was pleased with the result, but think next time I will just decoupage the label on, then antique it and sand - it would take less time.

 (Sorry I did not realize my shadow was on the photo.  The corner of the table is not black!)



I painted two coats of Cozumel Behr flat latex over the front and back of the shutters.  Loved the color.  I had planned to cover the X-brace with chicken wire for a pin-on board, but was running out of time. I thought maybe grapevine wreaths would look nice.. Plus I keep about a dozen of these around to use.  (Away from the puppies - they use them as chew toys!)  Of course, there were not two the same size in the bunch.  By that time I was filthy and covered in paint freckles.  I chose two very different wreaths, added a long wire loop on each, and hung one on the front of the first shutter and one on the back of the second. (Just looping over the slats.) I liked the look of two different shutters.  Since the wreaths aren't permanently attached, they can be removed.

Hope you enjoyed my before and afters for today.  Tomorrow I get to go down near Charleston, SC, for junking with my niece Leia.  She has already picked out four places. We do this every year for her birthday.  I'll let you know how this turns out!

Please leave comments or questions - I will respond! Follow Me on Pinterest 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!