Monday, August 13, 2012

Des Pommes et Des Poires

OF APPLES AND OF PEARS

MIXED MEDIA ART

On the fourth hour of pouring rain, I felt the need for a creative outlet - a mixed media piece of art, I thought.

I had picked up dunnage at Lowe's.  Scrap wood that has been routed down the center of one side used to support lumber.  The pieces are usually in the cull pile.  (You do check the cull pile at Lowe's and HD, don't you?) I was using them for a future folk art piece and had Chucks go ahead and cut up all the pieces in 6, 8, and 12-inch lengths.




I also had three pears and two apples left over from a wreath from several years ago.  Last year I had used them in my booth for fall decor.  I was tired of using them and felt they had another purpose in life.
 
Funny side story - last year a mother and her son were browsing in my booth as I straightened.  She asked, "Do you mind if he has that?"

When I turned around to see what she was talking about, her son was attempting to take a bite out of the apple.

The mother was horrified and quickly left.  I was amused the rest of the day.  If only his name was Eve...


 

I painted each of the fruit and the wood pieces white.  It would have been better to use gesso, but I could not find mine and was not wading through the water outside to go to Hobby Lobby.

I used the crowned bee in a laurel wreath image from Karen at The Graphics Fairy.  I printed the image nine to a page on regular copy paper.  I cut the images very close and then use Mod Podge in the "regular" way.

I gave both the bases and the fruit several coats of satin craft varnish.





I save scrap pieces of lace even if it is dry-rotted to use on art pieces.  I had enough pink lingerie lace to fit around the large piece, and some green and cream trim for the two smaller pieces.  I used a medium weight gel medium to hold the lace on. It holds better than the Mod Podge I have available to me.

These will take several hours to dry.

Which, of course, I did not take in consideration when thinking this would be a quick project!

  Well, those apples and pears cannot go around with just a bee on them - they need embellishing.  Something snappy.

I got on Pic Monkey.  (Which lengthened this project considerably!) I used a French frame from The Graphics Fairy and printed des pommes (of apples) and des poires (of pears) in each frame.  I printed these out nine to a page on 110lb. antique ivory paper.



I used aluminum duct tape to reinforce the backs and to wrap around the edges.

I glazed them with Folk Art taupe metallic paint.
 More bling, please!

I used an architectural paper to punch out circles to fit the bottle cap charms.  (I buy these already with a jump ring attached.)

I randomly chose four numbers to stamp on the tag.

8 3 9 5

(It adds up to 25 - I would like to say that has some significance, but I would be lying!)


These are my favorite number stamps.  I bought them from Pretty Tape on Etsy.  First of all, they come in this teeny little wooden box.  Then there are the teeny little numbers along with a tiny cell phone, carat weight symbol, slash, dot, and asterisk.

(She sells great washi tape, too!)








The pears each received a charm. I used E-6000 to make sure it will not fall off.










Each apple received a tag with "des pommes" and a charm.  Just because they are more specialer!

(No, the apples were each mounted on a base.  The pears all shared one base.  Yes, that is information I should have given you earlier.  Things would have been clearer.)







The three pears sat on one base with their "des poires" tag tied around the middle with white jute twine - the same I used for the charms.


I used E-6000 to glue the fruit to the base.  











One of the apples from the top to show off the silver bling and that beautiful distressing!











Des Pommes

(Of Apples)

Des Poires

(Of Pears)


From a distance the pears look like rotund French men with a smirky smiles on their faces.  Are those silver berets they are wearing?  Sorry, you should not make fun of your fruit!

See y'all!





Follow Me on Pinterest  . The Graphics Fairy The DIY Dreamer {Primp}shabby creek cottagePhotobucketHookingupwithHoHThe Shabby Nest

12 comments:

  1. These are to die for. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your project! Can't wait to make some! Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - fruit needs to be made fun of!! Love your frenchmen and their fabulous new berets!

    Hopefully nobody will take a bite out of these!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! What a talent for design you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these, I don't think you'll have anyone trying to bite into them now!
    The last time I asked at my local hardward store about the off cut pile, I was directed to the dumpster in the back and the punk kid working there told me I could dive in if I wanted. So rude!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, those turned out soo Cute!! I could just see them sitting in my living room. I may have to try to tackle them...after my 100 other projects..LOL!
    Hugs,
    Karin
    www.artisbeauty.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment.
    I couldn't decide what post to comment on...you have so many awesome diy posts! I really love the apples and the pairs, such a creative use of well....junk? LOL I guess we all need a few rainy days in order to get some things done around the house.
    Have a fabulous day!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project! Love the way the fruit turned out!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really, really like this! I know my mom has some old fake fruit pieces hanging around her house. I have to try my hand at this. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful French project Donna. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your apples and pears! They turned out great. I'll definitely make some of these. Pinning. Saw you featured at The Dedicated House.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!