Saturday, July 13, 2013

Lessons Learned From Summer Vacation


 You may have noticed I have been gone for several days.  My niece Olivia has been visiting.  I have learned several lessons this week.

I am not seventeen.  I will never be seventeen again.  BUT I can keep up with a seventeen-year old.

Barely!

 
I will never understand coffee or hot tea.

Olivia must imbibe one or the other several times a day.



 It is truly delightful to wake in the morning with a piece of art taped to your door.

Especially when there is a bird on it!

I can walk at three miles an hour on the treadmill at the gym while Olivia can run 6.6 miles an hour.

I can lift more weight longer than Olivia can.

(Score one for the 59's!)










 I should have taken photos of my house before and after to prove I can actually clean up a total disaster of a mess.

Painting supplies can be corralled on the bottom of an upside down chair.

(Okay, I didn't describe exactly HOW I straightened the mess!)









 It is nice to have new pieces of art to display.

It is nice to have a low-maintenance young lady around to share things with.

Olivia can visit the library twice in three days to check out a stack of books to read while finishing Atlas Shrugged for summer reading.







 

A firm cat lover can overcome her fear of dogs to go to the dog park and become one of their pack.

This same cat lover can go to the SPCA to play with the kittens to socialize them and fall in love with a dog!

(Wish I had had my camera for the pics of Olivia and Sly cuddled together.)

We can and did visit as many bookstores as possible.






Thrift shops take your mind off continuous days of 
rain,
rain,
rain!




You can (and we did) have excellent sushi and ginger salad for lunch followed by French roast coffee (Olivia) and French macaroons for dessert.

Lavender macaroons.

Pistachio macaroons.

Served by a tres beau homme Francais!

(Which I hope translates loosely as a very handsome French guy!)

Well, I will be around to catch up with reading your blog posts.  I hope you have completed some exciting and creative projects.  I have several to post so come back again.

See y'all!






Follow Me on Pinterest

One More Time Events

6 comments:

  1. Oh Donna.....what a lovely week you had with your niece! I am with you on the hot tea and coffee thing....yuck! Love the artwork....especially the bird drawing. Glad you had such a great week and thanks again for the guest post! I thought about you when traveling through SC!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like ya'll had a really good week together!!
    Thanks again for all of your kindness & help :)

    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had some real quality time together. What fun! I love macaroons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!! Way to keep up! I'm all about the coffee and I'm happy to try some macaroons. I kind of want to know more about that ginger salad. Olivia painted a lovely bird pic and how lucky to have it stuck on your door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Happy that you had a fun week with Olivia AND ... that you could keep up with her even if BARELY !!! Love the picture she painted for you. What fun to have a lively, lovely young lady to spend time with.
    Blessing,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Tresures

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy that Olivia is. I would welcome her to come and hang out with me. What a cutie and her art work, c'est magnifique! Glad to know you beat her in strength for lifting. Give her some time hanging out with you and she will hone that upper body strength to match you. Sorry you have had so much rain. I suppose it beats drought. It will end...right? I'm so glad to hear you all had such a fun and productive week!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!