Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rainy Day Finds

Pitcher, vases, vintage, books, India spreads
 It was a rainy day with roads flooded.

I did my JOY entry for my art journal, but added nothing to my writing journal.

I needed some inspiration.

Where better to get inspiration than the SPCA Thrift Shop.

Not only did they have 50% off everything except furniture, but they had PUPPIES!!!

No, I didn't adopt a new puppy.  We are nursing Scout who had a serious leg surgery.  The two cats and Willie are jealous of all the attention he is getting.  

Like breakfast in bed.

BUT they do not have to wear THE CONE!

Escape, Distressed Donna, escape.

Leave Chucks with the animals and go.

Go to the thrift shop.

That's my inner voice.

So I obeyed.


The first thing I saw after snuggling with the puppies was this sex education book for children from 1930.

TITLE:  Growing Up

SUBTITLE:  The story of how we come alive, are born, and grow up.

AUTHOR:  Karl De Schweinitz

It was rather informative and would probably work with children today.

I loved the black and white photos.

Not going to tell you of what!





Another ironstone pitcher!

This one is not as large as last week's, but it is a Bel Air Ballerina China pitcher with a platinum band around the lip.

I had stopped looking for them and now there are pitchers everywhere!









Why would I buy these vases when I took a boxful to the thrift shop back in November?

Go see Jamie at Anderson and Grant to see what beauty she created with these vases.

I plan to do a variation of what she did for these forlorn and forgotten vases.

Actually the tall one was one I donated and so I bought it back.

I also bought back a book I had donated months ago, but not on purpose.

I must start a book journal to record the titles of the books I read.

Can one person juggle four journals and a blog?





There is something about these cotton spreads or tablecloths from India that call my name.

The patterns, the colors, the versatility.

This one is pale green with a navy floral pattern.










Did you notice the sheep candle holders?

No, not a thrift store purchase.  I bought these for myself for Christmas and paid real money for them.

SHHHH!  Don't tell Chucks.

He thinks we have always had them.

A flock of JOY right there on the table!




So just a few purchases, but treasures all.

And I snuggled with the puppies.

And I escaped from the house on a rainy day!

Thanks to all of you who have visited my new Etsy store.  Some of the treasures I find are finding themselves in the Distressed Donna Shop.  Come over and visit.

See y'all!

Scout snoozing off the pain meds after the vet had to saw off the top of his femoral joint.  We do not usually dress our dogs, but I did have to put his Santa tee on to cover the incision.  I rolled it up so everyone could see it.


I am not happy.  Not happy one little bit.  Stop taking photos of my CONE!

 

 










Follow Me on Pinterest

Be Inspired #173 at Common Ground 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Party Junk #222 at Funky Junk Interiors  
Junkin' Joe Linky Party at The Cottage Market  

Revisionary Life - Thrifty Life Thursday 

Thrifty Life Thursday  I would love to have you join me for my link party, Share Your Cup!

Shabbilicious Friday


Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingDwellings-The Heart of Your Home

16 comments:

  1. Oh the Cone of Shame! I am LMBO about you buying back stuff you donated!!! Will you be decoupaging those sex ed book pictures onto some cute tags? Now you know I'm love, love, loving those sheep candles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe...poor little guy. Get well soon Scout!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Scout with a lampshade on his head! I hope he feels better soon. Cool book and yes, Anderson & Grants vase DIY was really cool. Have fun, I know yours will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,

    Your doggy is so darn cute! I hope he heals fast. Hugs, Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...poor Scout! He does look adorable in his cone though! OK...let me say I am quite envious of the pitcher with the platinum band....I know what I will be hunting for now! Never seen one like it! That tablecloth is forgeous...love the colors! And the sheep....too cute! Something about sheep just make me smile! I'm totally over this rain and cold....OVER it! LOL....Have an awesome Thursday.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't like it if you took pictures of me in a cone either! Don't feel bad about dressing your dog today because I heard that today is National Dress Up Your Pet Day. I would kill to have that sex ed book. I'm a health educator and have done my share of sex ed. I like your "we've always had it" technique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your found something to do on a rainy day. Another great white pitcher and love the sheep. I want sheep for next Christmas. Have two, but they are shaped like fat pigs. Sorry for your puppy ... wishing him the best.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I go thrifting with you? Always looking for more ironstone!

    Poor baby! Take care!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh your poor pup

    i love my humane society
    thrift store
    but i'm thankful they don't
    every have puppies
    or i might go home with
    more than i bargained for

    your finds are fabulous

    especially
    that little blue book

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny girl. "The cone of shame..." I was gonna say, those sheep candlesticks were amazing! Funny that Chuck thinks you've always had them. I'm DYING to know what the illustrations were in the book, Donna...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor little Scout! We had a conehead for awhile ourselves. What a great find that book is. Old books like that make me laugh! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has mishaps with the thrift shop. Our coffeemaker ended up there yesterday. Never let your son load the car up with donations...you might be missing a few things later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Scout. Do not tell him I have a thing for shades. I saw those sheep candle holders at Savvy this week. I need to get to that thrift. I am too busy visiting the medical folk however.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds! I especially like the cloth from India.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cuddling puppies is the best! Scout is a doll and hope he gets better very quickly! Now what's this about ironstone pitchers everywhere? None to be found by me. lol! Yes, I too loved Jamies vases and will probably be bring a few home to do the same. Yup, buying back what we gave away. Isn't that what it's all about? So very happy that you hopped over and shared with SYC!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, those are some amazing finds! Oh, and poor little boo boo! Hope he heals well and quickly. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again at the little blue soiree. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!!! You always find the most amazing things!!!! Thanks for sharing! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!