Friday, May 23, 2014

Black Beauty



Repainting, Americana Decor Chalky Paint, round table makeover
While perusing the OOPS paint shelves at Home Depot - 

(No, I do not get money from them.  However I think most of the big box stores need to give each blogger a gift card for being such loyal customers!) 

- I was surprised to see a display of their new line of paint Americana Decor Chalky Finish.  

I believe I mentioned this before and wondered if they really paid some company to come up with a name like Chalky Finish.

At the present time HD only had sample pots and had not a clue when they would receive a shipment of the quarts.

I purchased two pots.

One soft blue named Serene.

And the other a soft black named Carbon.

You know I usually mix up my own gloopy paint based on the techniques I learned from Farragoz, but the pots were only about eight bucks so I figured I would try it and see.


Remember the table my helper Calvin found in the brush pile?

I decided to give it the Carbon treatment.


Beautiful shape.

Horrible sun-damaged condition.



I was not going to spend the time bringing back the finish.

I am sure she will be placed on a porch somewhere.








I will say I was pleasantly surprised.

The paint is quite creamy.

Goes on smoothly.

Covers very well.

It did take two coats - but I only used about three ounces to do both.

Finished with a clear wax.

I had to buff it again after the photos because it was too hot to apply and buff wax, but I was in a hurry.





 
I think this southern mahogany girl looks like a black beauty now.


Personally I think she needs a huge Boston fern sitting on a lace cloth.



Maybe place an upholstered chair or two next to her.  Chairs in a distressed white finish with a black patterned fabric.

Stop it, Distressed Donna, you are not going to keep her.






The only flaw I found was a slight crack in one of her feet.  Easily fixed.












Before major temptation set in, I ran her over to Riverfront and stuck her in the booth. 

I have used the Serene blue on another project.

Just as soon as it does not take me half a day to move photos from the camera to my picture files, I will post about it.

Actually it is sitting in the living room unfinished.

I now remember I have not waxed it yet..

Or styled it pretty for her picture.

Going to go do that right now.

I will assure regular readers I was very busy shopping and hunting and thrifting and painting through my illness and my computer's corruption incident so I have a lot to share.

My niece Olivia is graduating from high school this weekend so we will be doing the celebration thing.  Though quite frankly we cannot figure out how she got so old so suddenly.

See y'all!











Use this discount code to receive 10% off your purchase at the Distressed Donna Etsy store:

DISTRESSEDDONNA14

SHOP HERE! 








Follow Me on Pinterest

The Cottage Market Presents Junkin' Joe Every Friday  
Thrifty Things Friday 
Share Your Cup Thursday #104
Party Junk #241 at Funky Junk Interiors  




TTF @ Melissa's AntiquesFurniture Feature FridaysThe Dedicated HouseA Stroll Thru Life

20 comments:

  1. Love the table painted black. I want to try that paint. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I really love this table. That carbon color catches my eye, and the shape of the table always gets me - round, with the drawer, and the splayed legs. I'll have to check my local HD to see if they have any of that paint here - thanks for the heads up. I love accenting with black. This may be the one I finish the cherry chest my friend gave me. Have a fun weekend, and thanks for the shout out on linens over at Linda's.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! I really like what you did with it

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOO... I love when you tell us about these new products... because now I have to go to Home Depot and get some of this chalky finish paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very classy. Was it missing a claw? I can't remember from its original introduction. (I have a couple of extras.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out really nice Donna. Maybe, just maybe, you have tempted me to paint a piece of furniture black.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project Donna, my next piece I am doing in black and metallics , hey I was wondering how did you like that farragoz course? I have been throwing the idea of signing up for the past few months, and was wondering I how the experience was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paint can be so transforming and satisfying--love the table's new look. Will have to check out that [poorly named] chalky paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I love the black table, the style and the color! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE it! The black looks great. Now...did you tape off the feet? I want to know because I am painting mine eventually and want to keep them original finish...:) I can't wait to see the other color you bought!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really saved her Donna! She's gorgeous now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that table style. There was one at the digger sale, but I missed out on it. Dang! What are the price points on the Chalky Finish paints? I love that charcoal color! Enjoy your weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! We had a major debacle with Home Depot tonight regarding an $800 pressure washer that we bought 4 months ago breaking down and them wanting to send it in to Arizona (we are in Oregon) to fix it and it could take up to 3 months to get back! Needless to say, my husband has forbid me to ever buy anything there again! He won't know if I sneak in and buy a little container or two of paint, will he?

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you didn't keep this one! It's gorgeous! Congrats to Olivia on her graduation and happy celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It came out beautiful! I'm going to have to look for those! I painted the pieces that were really fine, but no longer worked in our current home with AS, but I can't justify buying the expensive can for the tiny projects that we have been working. I've been painting from the bottom of the cans! Thank you for the tip! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Gorgeous. I didn't think it was so bad before but I LOVE it in black. I'd have a hard time parting with it if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to TTF @ Melissa's Antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous black beauty! Can't believe she was in a junk pile. Great job Donna! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your comments and will always answer with email. I will try to track you down if you show up as a "no reply" commenter to let you know. Friends are like that!